Home Brief

For this brief, I had the idea that I would initially take my family photos and remake them with my flatmates- essentially my new family (if only for this year). I couldn’t quite figure out how to make this work, with my flatmates being generally very busy, throughout the week and throughout the day, so I struggled to have them all in the flat for a long enough time to take photos with them. So instead I decided to go for the concept of Spaces Filled, with the idea of it’s not the area that makes the home, but the people in it, so I took photos of empty spaces, and then photos with people there.

I drew upon Brian Law’s few photographs of Empty Spaces and Frank Callaghan’s photographs of Empty Spaces

This photo in particular resonated with me, because I began to think about the idea of home being characterized by the inhabitants.

Empty Bed Filled Bed

Empty Study Filled Study

Empty Sink Filled Sink

These spaces interested me as I thought about what I spent most of my time doing whilst at Uni/at my flat, either studying, cleaning up/cooking, or sleeping. I used Jake as a model because of convenience, plus as he’s doing media, he has the same schedule as me, and knows how to act around a camera. I’m pretty happy with how these photos turned out.

Here are some of the photos that I rejected:

IMG_3043 IMG_2960 IMG_2961 IMG_3021 IMG_3023 IMG_3025 IMG_3026 IMG_3028

Most of these photos were rejected because they were out of focus, or had poor exposure, or weren’t quite the look I was going for, as is the case with the first three photos.